Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. Parents should contact the Consular Section as soon as possible after the child's birth. Several documents are required for the issuance of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, which becomes the child's proof of U.S. citizenship and can be used to receive a U.S. passport. For more information regarding a Consular Report of Birth, please visit the State Department website.

To apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America and to make an appointment, please click here 

It is mandatory to include on the online appointment request the names of all non-applicants (parents and guardians of a minor) who plan to accompany the applicant to the Consular section; only those whose names are on the appointment list will be granted entry.

The U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child must appear in person.  Please provide the documents and forms listed below.

  1. Child’s birth certificate: one original and one certified copy, with English translation.
  2. Proof of parents’ citizenship:

    For U.S. citizen parent(s):
    • U.S. passport; or
    • U.S. birth certificate, showing filing date and issuing office’s seal; or
    • U.S. Naturalization Certificate; or
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

    For alien parent:

    • identity document (passport, citizenship id card, etc.)
  3. Parent’s marriage certificate (if married): one original and one certified copy, with English translation

    Proof of termination of all previous marriages, if any (divorce or death certificate)

  4. Applicable forms, photos, fees:
    • Completed application for Consular Report of Birth DS-2029 (do not sign it, as your oath will be taken by the Consul)
    • Completed passport application, Form DS-11 (do not sign it, as your oath will be taken by the Consul)
    • Application for Social Security Number Form SS-5 (PDF 238 KB)
    • Two identical passport photos, 2”x 2” (5cm x 5 cm), color with light background, taken within the past six months (See our photo specifications page)
    • Fees of $205. CRBA fee- $100, Passport fee- $105 (accepted cash only).
  5. Proof of parent’s ability to transmit U.S. citizenship:

    When a child has one U.S. citizen and one alien parent, the Consular Section will need proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s extended residence in the U.S.  Such proof may be in the form of school, tax, employment, travel, or other records. 


For children born out of wedlock to a U.S. citizen father, the father must formally acknowledge parentage and agree to support the child through age 18 as well as fulfill the U.S. physical presence requirement stated above. Form DS-5507 applies.

Online Appointment

  • Calendar All regular U.S. Citizen Services are by appointment only. Please click here to make an appointment online.

    Online appointment system is simple and easy to use. Applicants are able to make, change and cancel appointments through the online system. Once the appointment is made, applicants are able to print a confirmation page. Applicants will receive an e-mail reminder with instructions for the interview at the Consular Section.

Adobe Reader (copy)

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.